Monday 28 October 2013

Lake District ("Our thoughts at least are ours")

The Lake District, also commonly known as The Lakes or (particularly as an adjective) Lakeland, is a mountainous region in North West England. A popular holiday destination, it is famous not only for its lakes, forests and mountains (or fells), but also for its associations with the early 19th century poetry and writings of William Wordsworth and the other Lake Poets.

                    The Lake Poets, which consisted of a group of English writers who lived in the Lakes in England, were Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Robert Southey and William Wordsworth.

There are numerous poems about Lake District from the world famous poets.

Some clicks from Lake District during August 2013

 
 
 

        Earth was hushed and still; all motion and sound were suspended:
        Neither man was heard, bird, beast, nor humming of insect,—
       Only the voice of the Greta, heard only when all is in stillness.
       Pensive I stood, and alone; the hour and the scene had subdued me;
      And as I gazed in the west, where infinity seemed to be open,
     Yearned to be free from time, and felt that this life is a thraldom.


                                                  Robert Southey (A Vision of Judgement)


 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
                                          


                                   I gazed and gazed, and to myself I said,
                                  Our thoughts at least are ours; and this wild nook,
                                  My EMMA, I will dedicate to thee."
                                  ----Soon did the spot become my other home,
                                 My dwelling, and my out-of-doors abode.
                                 And, of the Shepherds who have seen me there,
                                To whom I sometimes in our idle talk
                                 Have told this fancy, two or three, perhaps,
                                 Years after we are gone and in our graves,
                                 When they have cause to speak of this wild place,
                                 May call it by the name of EMMA'S DELL.

 
    William Wordsworth (It was an April morning)
 
 
 

 
 
 

 
 
 
 

 




                                                                     
    
                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment